Saturday, March 14, 2009

American Idol Season 8

I think it is my love of music and my radio background that make me love this show. I like to see how my opinions stack up against the judges' critiques. I love Simon. He is bluntly truthful. Most of the time I'm in agreement with his opinions, although only Simon would really say what the rest of us are thinking. Most of us are sensitive to other's feelings, and although we try to be truthful, we want to tell the truth in a way that doesn't hurt feelings. Paula Abdul always tries to make people feel good, and sometimes stumbles all over herself trying to put her feelings into words. I think Randy has a good ear for music. He is always talking about his experience recording with this artist and that artist. Sometimes I think he's a name dropper, and I wonder if he was really as involved has he leads us to believe. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, because even having been there gives him credibility. For me, the jury is still out on Kara. I'm not sure if I like her yet or not. I think her ego is a bit exagerated, and I sense a feeling of insecurity there. It's like she has to prove herself to us, which she does, but I think she takes offense when other's don't agree with her insights.

I really start to enjoy the show at this point of the season, when we're down to the top 12. I really don't like all of the silly auditions and drama that come with the first several weeks. I do look forward to the talented few who perform familiar songs with full musical back up. I really enjoyed the Michael Jackson library. I was always a fan until the last few years. It has been difficult to seperate his talent from his hyper-strange persona. When he was more of a mainstream character, I could enjoy the music without all of the baggage that comes with it now. I really do enjoy most of his music. I didn't like the performances of the unfamiliar tunes. There is a reason they were never hits in the first place. Granted, there are songs that shouldn't be touched, because any comparison to the original artist would sound foolish. However, there is a lot of familiar music that could be remade without offense. That goes for all artists. I wonder who the mentors will be this year.

I think America made the right choices this week in choosing what is now the top 11. I look forward to seeing what this week will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment